This Sicilian vegetable dish is delicious both hot and chilled and compliments salami cheese and scones. It is also perfect to serve with chicken or pork.
Slow cooked on the stove top it is a sweet and sour mixture of Aubergine, Celery, Onions, Garlic, Tomatoes and capers.
Please use red wine vinegar and brown sugar to give it an scrumptious irresistible taste.
I make a batch and keep 1/2 in the fridge to snack on and freeze the other half to serve another day.
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Aubergine chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 medium Red Onions finely sliced
- 2 sticks Celery finely sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 400g can chopped Tomatoes
- 75g Soft light brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp red wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in large deep wide based saucepan on a medium heat and fry the Aubergine for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned stirring regularly to prevent sticking
- Add the onions and fry for another 5 minutes until softened
- Add the Celery and Garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Tip the Tomatoes into the pan and half fill the empty tin with water and also add that.
- Stir in the Vinegar and sugar and cook for 35-45 minutes until very thick, stirring frequently especially towards the end to prevent burning
- Add the seasoning and the capers and cook for a couple of more minutes
- Either serve hot as aside dish or cover and cool to serve as a spread or accompaniment.