Flavoursome and Light Salmon and Salad for a picnic or light lunch.
Having some salmon fillets in the fridge and wanting to add a little more oomph to the flavour I came up with this marinade and then lightly pan fried them and let them cool in order to have them with a salad of red camargue and wild rice watercress and vegetables. A dressing of lemon juice and olive oil completed the dish.
- 2 large Salmon Fillets
- 4 tbsp Gin
- 6 Juniper Berries
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill Weed or 3 Fronds Fresh Dill
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Oil for frying
- 150 g/5.5 oz Red Camargue and Wild Rice Mix(Could use Brown Basmati and Wild Rice Mix)
- Salt to season
- 1/2 Bunch of Watercress( washed and Chopped roughly)
- 1/2 Cucumber Diced
- 1/2 Red and 1/2 Yellow peppers diced
- 5 Spring Onion Onions sliced
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Parsley
DirectionsGin Infused Salmon Fillets
- Start by prepping the Salmon. Grind the Juniper Berries, Dill Weed if Dried(if fresh just chop) Fennel Seeds and Salt in a Mortar and Pestle until coarsely ground.
- Put the Salmon fillets in a container cover with the mixture and pour over the gin, ensuring it is well immersed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours turning once or twice.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan at medium heat and fry the fillets after removing from the marinade turning a couple of times for about 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate.
- Cook the Rice in salted boiling water for around 30-35 minutes
- Rinse well drain and allow to cool
- Combine Rice with the other salad ingredients and dressing and serve along with the salmon