Gooseberry season is upon us. we love this much under-rated and under utilised fruit. Crumbles, Fools, Tarts, Sauces and Jams will be making appearances in our house and on this blog this month. To start with a sharp and tasty crumble which soon evaporates from the kitchen.
This can be made from plums, rhubarb or apples as well and the topping is much crisper than traditional crumble which I find can be quite soggy.
- 400g/1Lb Gooseberries or Large Punnet of Plums
- 170g/6 oz Gluten free Flour
- 50g/2 oz Gluten free Rolled Oats
- 140g/5 oz Caster Sugar
- 85g/3 oz Dairy Free Margarine(Stork)
- 1/2tsp Powdered Cinnamon
- Top and tail the Gooseberries or halve the plums and remove the stones
- Put the fruit and 25g/1oz of the sugar in a deep pie dish
- Combine the Flour, Oats and Cinnamon in a large mixing bowl
- Dice the margarine into cubes and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Mix in the remaining sugar
- Top the fruit with the Crumble Mixture
- Bake in medium oven 200C/Fan 180C/400F/ Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with Dairy free Cream or Dairy Free Ice-cream