Totally flour free, this cake uses ground almonds and fine polenta instead. It is delectable and very lemony.
Although it cooks well it also sinks a little after coming out the oven. I suspect this is due to using egg replacement rather than normal eggs. Don’t let this put you off as it is still delicious.
Serving it with a strawberry compote makes for a tasty dessert for the end of an Italian meal.
- 180g non dairy margarine (Stork) softened and dicedPlace all
- 200g Golden Castor Sugar
- 3 tsp Egg replacer mixed in 3 tbsp of water
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 Lemons
- 130g Ground Almonds
- 2 teaspoons Gluten free baking powder
- 100g Fine Polenta
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170c fan oven and butter a 20cm loose bottomed non stick cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor and cream together, the mixture should be smooth and creamy but grainy.
- Put in cake tin and smooth top, bake for 40-45 minutes until golden firm and slightly shrinking from the edge of the tin, a skewer put in the centre should come out clean.
- Run a knife round the edge of the cake and remove the collar and leave to cool
- Just before serving dust with icing sugar.
- Will complete for several days in an airtight container.