Starting to think ahead for Christmas here in Norway. Pears are in season and I love Pickled Pears to have alongside cold meats in the holidays. I decided to make a jar of Pickled Pears. I used a 1 litre jar and around 750g of local Pears.
The local Pears seem to be of the conference variety so were perfect for this recipe.
- 450 g Granulated Sugar
- 450 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick broken in half
- 4 strips of Lemon Peel
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp mixed peppercorns
- 2 Sprigs fresh Rosemary
- Sterilise a 1 Litre jar and allow to dry in a warm oven.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and spices plus lemon peel to a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Peel the pears with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, leaving the stalk on.
- Add the pears to the sugar and vinegar and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the sprigs of rosemary and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the sterilised jar from the oven
- Put the pears in the jar using tongs.
- Turn up the heat and let the sugar and vinegar mixture boil vigorously for another 5 minutes until syrupy.
- Carefully pour the syrup over the pears and gently add the cinnamon stick, spices, lemon peel and rosemary sprigs down the sides of the pears.
- Seal the jar and allow to cool(this will take several hours)
- Store for 2 months before opening.
- once opened keep in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.